1. Helsinki Christmas Market 2018
If you only have time to visit one Christmas market, Helsinki Christmas Market (Tuomaanmarkkinat in Finnish) in Senate Square is our recommendation.
In 2015, the Huffington Post ranked Helsinki Christmas Market among the 15 European Christmas markets we love to love.
The oldest and largest event of its kind in Helsinki, Helsinki Christmas Market offers a wide selection of tasty food, traditional handicraft, Finnish design and many other products. Meet the Santa Claus, enjoy the old fashioned merry-go-round - and if you dare - experience the Christmas Sauna in the heart of the city!
- Time: 1.–22.12.2018. Mon-Fri 11-20, Sat-Sun 10-19
- Location: Senate Square
- How to get there from Hotel St. George: Helsinki Christmas Market is within walking distance from us (800 m). Walk through the beautiful Esplanad Park and once you arrive at the market square, turn left towards the big white church.
2. Helsinki Christmas Market at the Old Student House
Just a couple of blocks away from St. George and right across the street from Stockmann department store, it is easy to visit the Christmas Market at the historic Old Student House. Two full floors of high-quality Finnish handicrafts, created by some of Finland’s best designers and artisans.
- Time: 15.-22.12.2018. Mon – Fri 11 am – 8 pm, Sat & Sun 11 am – 6 pm.
- Location: Old Student House / Vanha ylioppilastalo, Mannerheimintie 3, 00100 Helsinki
- How to get there from Hotel St. George: The Old Student House is just a five-minute (350 m) walk from St. George.
3. Teurastamo Christmas Market
The former Helsinki abattoir from 1933, re-opened in 2012 as Teurastamo Helsinki. It is a melting pot of food and urban culture.
A Christmas market in a unique milieu of the old Slaughterhouse courtyard! Teurastamo is also the place to meet locals.
Traditional Christmas delights as well as more exotic flavors. Enjoy good food, listen to Christmas songs, shop presents and get cuddly with animals (kids can ride a pony!).
- Time: 15.-16.12.2018, Saturday 10 am - 5 pm & Sunday 11 am - 4 pm.
- Location: Teurastamo, Työpajankatu 2, 00580 Helsinki
- How to get there from Hotel St. George: Walk from St. George to Rautatientori Metro Station. Take a metro to Kalasatama. Walk 1.3 kilometers to Teurastamo. Duration 26 minutes.
Photos: Jussi Hellsten /Helsinki Marketing